Glynn H. Brock Elementary School has a historical distinction in Slidell.The first high school occupied the present site and graduated its first class in 1909. In 1911,a three-story brick building was constructed. It housed first through eleventh grades until 1925.At that time,a new high school was built on Third Street. It was during this time that Mrs. Craddock, a teacher and librarian at the grammar school, began the first elementary school library in the state of Louisiana.

By 1939 the building required extensive repairs. Classes were held in neighboring buildings while the new school was being constructed. By 1942,construction was complete and the Slidell Grammar School once again housed first through seventh grades. This structure also included a library, a lunchroom, and a gymnasium. Part of the school facing Brakefield Street was destroyed by fire in 1951 and was rebuilt in its original form in the same year. The name of the school was changed in 1972 to memorialize Mr.Glynn H.Brock, who served as principal from 1932-1951. 

On August 29, 2005, Brock Elementary School was severely damaged by Hurricane Katrina. We were housed in modular trailers on St. Tammany Jr. High's property until December 2008. On December 9, 2008 our doors opened once again at our original building on Brakefield Street.

 

 

.
 

 


© Glynn H. Brock Elementary School, 2008. All rights reserved.
template purchased at ThistleGirl Designs
Home About Us Calendar Cafeteria Links Photo Album